- HOW ARE YOU SECURING YOUR GEAR? DESCRIBE
- ARE YOU DOFFING YOUR ARMOR?
- ALLOCATE ALL UNCLAIMED EQUIPMENT
Collision % and number of checks
Medium - PORTAGE 0.54 miles long where joins Tanara as tributary at two swampy symbols
Plains north (good portage) and Fens south
2 checks - bottoming chance
Gridline northeast of landmark X
Wide (120-150 YARDS across)
2 checks while getting orientated
Adjacenty to landmark Y
- Small canoe - 8 hours of normal rowing = 10 miles. 8 hours of maximum rowing = 12 miles.
- Small rowboat - normal 12 miles. Maximum 14 miles.
- Large rowboat - normal 8 miles. Maximum 10 miles.
- If nobody aboard with Boating proficiency then movement rate of kayak, a small canoe, and a coracle are reduced to 1/2 number while large canoe or large rowboat are reduced to 2/3 normal. (WSG pg. 44)
- Very Swift = +40%
- Swift = +30%
- Medium = +20%
- Placid = +10%
- Max oar rate = 1 turn rest for 2 turns effort or can become fatigued or exhausted.
- Fatigued = All ability scores, saving throws, attacks and damage rolls are at a -2 penalty. Must spend two hours resting
- Exhausted = All ability scores, saving throws, attacks and damage rolls are at a -4 penalty. Can do very little. Must rest one hour before having chance to roll to simply be fatigued.
- Constitution check to go from exhausted->fatigued->normal
- Failed Con check to go the other way
- [House rule] Make Con check at the start of the first hour of effort beyond the 8th. Then determine in which hour of the next 8 the effect will manifest.
- Small canoe 2+2500
- Small rowboat 2+2000
- Large canoe 4+4000
- Large rowboat 4+4000
- No help from severely encumbered characters
- Encumbrance values given on pg. 44 account for bulkiness too. Average encumbrance in coins, time to get underway to normal speed and maximum speed in rounds, hull points, draught.
- Small canoe 800, 1-2, 1-2 HP, 1/4’ draught
- Small rowboat 850, 1-3, 1-3, 1/2’
- Large canoe 1100, 1-3, 2-3, 1/3'
- Large rowboat 1400, 2-5, 2-4, 3/4'
- Once encumbrance is distributed, no more help from 2x # of characters porting it. A fifth wheel unlikely to help.
- pg. 50 - 4 days w/o food no problem
- pg. 52 - 3 days w/o water no problem
- pg. 73 - outdoor range of vision typically 500 yards
- pg. 85 - fighting in water is probably a -4 penalty at least under conditions on the Wild River and reduced damage may apply
- Humans 4” base and demihumans 3”
- Strength 16-17 = +1” modifier
- Strength 18 = +2 modifier
- No encumbrance = x2
- Light = x1
- Moderate = x 1/2
- Heavy = x 1/4
- Severe = impossible, will sink at 3x the diving rate
- 1 minute x 1/3 Con rounded up
- If not able to fill air with lungs cut time in half
- If strenuous activity cut time in half
- Start making constitution checks every minute with +2 accumulating penalty
- Metallic armor must shed their armor or drown (1 round/AC is my house rule on that)
- Plate = 100% (no ability to remove in time is assumed by these rules)
- Chain = 80% drowning and must remove
- Leather = 20% of drowning, do not need to remove but can
- In gale/storm [or rapids/cascades) there is a 50% chance that any man in the water will drown. Roll once per TURN.
- Occur during rapids or cascades
- Are 1d8 feet high for cascades (DSG pg. 45)
- Are 1d4 feet high for rapids (DSG pg. 44)
- Can cause the boat to capsize or cause collision damage
- There is a 5% / foot fallen chance of collision damage. Roll on Table 26: Boat Damage pg. 48 DSG.
- There is also a 5% / foot fallen chance of capsize, however, if there is a character with a Boating* proficiency in the boat and that character successfully makes a check, the boat is righted before it overturns. Limit 1 check per boat per drop off.
- *Boating proficiency is an ability check against Wisdom with a +1 modifier to the d20 roll thus making the check harder to succeed.
- Width (DSG pg. 44)
- Narrow width = streams and rivulets and waterways less than 20’ wide and less than 3’ deep
- Average width = streams and small rivers from 20-60’ wide and usually 4-8’ deep
- Wide waterways are more than 60’ wide and the depth in the center is generally greater than 8’
- Entering or leaving the boat
- Abrupt movement within the boat
- Any other time GM determines
- DSG pg. 48 says that all loose objects in the boat fall free and must be recovered individually.
- The chance of capsizing is increased by 25% anytime the chance is non-zero if there is nobody with a Boating proficiency in the craft (WSG pg. 45)
- If more than one person with the Boating proficiency is aboard, each reduces the chance of capsizing by 20% (WSG pg. 45)
- Mild conditions (light wind<15mph or current Placid) 0%
- Moderate conditions (wind 16-30mph or current Medium) 10%
- Dangerous conditions (current Swift) 25%
- Severe conditions (current Very Swift) 40%
- Evenly distribute weight
- Get rid of all gear in boat except 10% of capacity
- Up to double # of passengers can use for floatation
- Per DSG pg. 48 it takes 1d4 minutes to refloat a capsized boat (holes must be repaired first)
- Water travels at 120’-240’/minute
- Descent of stream bed is 30-200’ over the course of a mile
- The sound of the rapids can be heard by characters and creatures within 1000’
- Has shorter drop offs (see above)
- Water travels at 240-600’/minute
- Waterway descends at a slope of 200-1000’ over the course of a mile
- The thundering roar of a cascade is usually audible at least a mile away
- The speed of the water plummeting over the fall is at least 600’/minute
- Anywhere the water plunges at a slope of more than 1000’ per mile is considered a waterfall for purposes of this rule
- It is impossible to control a boat going over the falls.
- Surviving the plunge is more a matter of luck than skill.
- A character carried over a waterfall less than 40’ in height takes no damage.
- If a saving throw versus breath weapon succeeds and the waterfall was 40-100’ high, no damage is taken.
- If the waterfall is >= 100’ and a saving throw versus breath weapon succeeds, the damage will be 1/10th normal damage (rounded up)
- A character carried over a waterfall of more than 40’ who fails a save versus breath weapon will take falling damage at half the normal rate